May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month and Lehman Advanced Dermatology wants you to stay protected!
Exposure to the sun’s UV rays is the most preventable risk factor for skin cancer. The American Academy of Dermatology is encouraging you to practice safe sun by asking “Do You Use Protection?”
No matter your age, gender or race, everyone needs to use protection.
Every time you are outdoors:
- Seek Shade
- Wear protective clothing
- Us a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with SPF 30+
The AAD designates the first Monday in May as “Melanoma Monday” to raise awareness of melanoma and other types of skin cancer and to encourage early detection through self-exams.
Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer. It develops in a mole or suddenly appears as a new dark spot on the skin.
- Early diagnosis and treatment are crucial.
- Knowing the ABCDE warning signs of melanoma can help you find an early melanoma.
If you notice a spot that is different from others, or changes, itches or bleeds, you should make an appointment to see us right away.
- Examine your body front and back in the mirror, and on the sides with your arms raised.
- Bend elbows and look carefully at forearms, underarms, and palms.
- Look at the backs of your legs and feet, toes and the soles of your feet.
- Examine the back of your neck and scalp and your back and buttocks with a hand mirror.
For more information about skin cancer and detection, visit our website. Or consult with Lehman Advanced Dermatology. We’re located at 781 Weatherly Drive Suite C, Clarksville, TN 37043. Click here to request an appointment, or give us a call at (931) 444-5040.